This is a great ride in a stunning location. We will meet at the Mangatepopo Camp on Thursday afternoon from 1pm. This will be an extended excursion with a 3 night stop over on Thursday, Friday and Saturday night with a Breakfast (Sat & Sun) and Dinner (Fri & Sat), beds and great riding included. We are booked in at the Mangatepopo Camp which will include accommodation and evening food for the weekend.
This event, previously known as "42 Traverse" or "National Park", has been renamed to "Dave McKennie Memorial Ride" in a unanimous vote by club members, in memory of Dave McKennie who sadly passed away at this event in 2020.
We will meet at the Mangatepopo Camp on Thursday Afternoon at 12pm. Please note: We shall be conducting a half day exploration ride on Thursday afternoon; if you are interested, please email or phone Wayne (departure at 2pm on Thursday afternoon) so he knows you are coming.
The ride is a fixed fee whether you come for 1,2 or 3 nights (use the green ticket button to book). Please let Wayne know if you are arriving on Friday with the intention of only completing the afternoon ride.
This event will take us into the National Park. Here is a loose itinerary of rides:
- Thursday or Thursday Night - riders can arrive and unload and setup, accommodation provided but no catering Those who are setup by 12.00 will be able to do a 2pm ride and have plenty of time to have dinner at Schnapps bar (if you tow Mitch he usually shouts! Apparently cheaper than buying and bringing your own tow rope! Who knew?!)
- Friday Morning - riders looking to depart at 0830 for a morning ride. No breakfast provided.
- Friday Afternoon - Morning riders to return for refresh, cup of tea approx. 1230 and to wrap up for the day or prepare for a ride in the afternoon.
- Friday Afternoon - Afternoon ride to commence at 1315 and to return for 1630. Local ride.
- Friday evening - preparation of kai for dinner at approximately 1900 for dinner serving at approximately 2000 - included. The team are often entertained by the former bush rangers who creep their way out of the bush or a house bus to microwave their TV dinner for 1070 minutes. Of course no-one would suggest that is Reg Benton. 🙂
- Saturday morning, breakfast then starting ride at 0930 promptly. (Once Reg's thermo-nuclear TV dinner has cooled to about Fukushima's base temperature.) This is a full day ride. Bring your own lunch.
- Saturday evening, return for preparation of dinner and serving at 1930. (& Prepare for the fallout for the next Thermo-Nuclear TV Dinner)
- Sunday morning, breakfast then starting ride at 0930 promptly. Half day ride. Bring your own lunch.
- Sunday afternoon - Return and pack up camp at 1400.
Please note that there are NO fuel stops anywhere along the route. You must be carrying enough fuel to see you through the trip.
Please book and pay by 30th October so that catering numbers can be confirmed. Please book through the web site or Bank Direct Credit to 06-0565-0870353-00. Please place your name as a reference (really important please) and ‘42nd ride’. The price includes accommodation and food. Note this year the prices have caught up with Jacinda-Flation with members $110 and Non-members $150 - inclusive of food, riding, and accommodation including a drying room and high-speed internet.
You Should Bring
- Water Bottles
- Tow Rope or a Tow Hitch to drag Mitch out!
- First Aid Kit
- Spare Parts and Puncture Repair Kit
- Helmet and Suitable clothing for varied conditions
- Sleeping Bag (pillow for extra comfort)
- Dry Food / food for the duration
- Extra Fuel
- Toothbrush and toiletries
- Sharp Saw
- Chilly Bins
Organizer of Dave McKennie Memorial Ride (42 Traverse)Wayne is the club treasurer so be nice he has the purse-strings!
LocationTongariro Forest Park, Mangatepopo Camp, Tongariro Forest Park, New Zealand
Could not find route!
Weather data is currently not available for this location
Wind stec_replace_current_wind stec_replace_current_wind_units stec_replace_current_wind_direction
Humidity stec_replace_current_humidity %
Feels like stec_replace_current_feels_like °stec_replace_current_temp_units
Next 24 Hours
Powered by openweathermap.org